NAPERVILLE 630-780-1034

Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Youtube
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Youtube

Will County Landlord Evictions 101 for Landlords

Joliet and Plainfield Eviction Attorneys

As a landlord, you are facing the tough issue of eviction, otherwise known as Forcible Entry and Detainer in the Will County Circuit Court. The first question that comes to mind is we must evict the tenant or tenants, but how do we do this. The first step in evicting a tenant or tenants is having the proper notice, whether it is a five-day notice, a thirty-day notice, or another type of notice.

Robertson Legal Group, LLC and Sean Robertson concentrate in assisting Will County landlords and real estate investors with the eviction process in Will County such as Plainfield, Shorewood, Romeoville, Bolingbrook, Crest Hill, Joliet, Wilmington, Crete, Morris, Frankfort, Mokena, Lockport and Homer Glen areas. The first step in the eviction process is determining the appropriate type of notice in the eviction case.

Romeoville and Bolingbrook Powers of Attorney Lawyers

South Naperville and Plainfield POA for Property and Healthcare Lawyers

What is a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney in Romeoville and Bolingbrook is generally a power that a principal gives an agent that empowers them to make financial and healthcare related decisions. There are two forms of Illinois Powers of Attorneys:

    Illinois Short Form Durable Power of Attorney for Property
    Illinois Short Form Power of Attorney for Healthcare

The 755 ILCS 45/Illinois Power of Attorney Act regulates agents and the Illinois Power of Attorney for Property and Healthcare decisions in the Plainfield, Naperville, Aurora, Oswego, Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Crest Hill, and Joliet areas in DuPage, Will, Kendall, and Kane Counties.

Will County Small Claims 101

Will County Small Claims Court Attorneys

What is small claims court in Crest Hill and Joliet, Illinois?

According to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 281, the definition of small claims is a civil action based on either tort or contract for money in not more than $10,000 exclusive of interest and costs. Illinois Supreme Court Rule 281. Simply put, small claims court is a matter involving a dispute under $10,000. The purpose of small claims court is to provide an expedited court process in small litigation matters involving parties. Please note that the old Illinois Supreme Court only allowed for matters of $5,000 or less, but that rule has been amended and changed.

Who can file a case in small claims court in Joliet, Will County?

Any party, whether a corporation, non-profit, and/or an individual, may file a case against another party in Will County Circuit Court of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit. Please note that a corporate or LLC may not initiate a small claims case without legal counsel or an attorney pursuant to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 282. Illinois Supreme Court Rule 282. In Will County, the complaint is form 19A, a small claims complaint. The rules for small claims court are relaxed compared to most other courts.

Purposes of the Pre-Trial for Divorces in Will County

Joliet and Plainfield Divorce Lawyers in Will County

In a perfect world, when a marriage ends the parties can sit down and have a civil discussion about who will receive what portions of the marital estate as they work out maintenance, parenting time, parenting responsibilities, and child support between each other as they peacefully get divorced without the need of the courts or attorneys. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world and many divorces wind up becoming heated, argumentative, and litigious.

The courts and attorneys try to work around this fact, and the parties are always encouraged to work things out between themselves or with the help of a mediator. Still, even with all sides encouraging amicable settlement, many couples have legitimate grievances that just cannot be worked through without litigation and some couples simply choose to fight. For many of these matters a hearing on the issue is enough, which means that the matter is presented before a judge along with relevant evidence that the judge will issue a ruling on.

Landlord Tenant Evictions in Joliet, Will County: Tenant Perspective

Landlord and Tenant Eviction Attorneys in Joliet, Will County
Shorewood and Plainfield Eviction Attorneys for Tenants

You wake up one morning and hear a knock at the door. You open it and are surprised to see the county sheriff at your door step. He or she hands you a piece of paper and is quickly on his or her way and when you look at the paper it has words that make your heart stop, “Summons in Forcible Entry and Detainer.” The paper informs you that you have been properly served with an eviction complaint, are occupying your home illegally, and gives you a court date to appear at. The thought of being tossed out of your home is scary enough, but the thought of getting that “E” on your credit report, and knowing you might never have someone rent to you again, is even scarier. (

What should I do?!?

The first thing you should do is ask yourself the most important question: do you want to stay or go? If you want to stay but are having trouble making payments the best thing to do is work it out with your landlord. Many landlords are surprisingly sympathetic to the financial problems of GOOD (ie. aren’t a continuous hassle) tenants and might be willing to work out a payment arrangement with you.

Back to Top